May Meeting Notes

DOE Monthly Meeting: May 21, 2017

 

DAUGHTERS PRESENT: Melanie, Susie, Rachael, Sarah, Gabriella, Meg, Katrina, Lacy Rose, Lily

 

1)   Company Structure

a.     More detail in Section 6

b.     There will be a change in structure

                                               i.     With a leadership shift: Melanie will take on sole director responsibility

                                              ii.     Katrina is happier pursuing performance; will step down from her artistic director role

1.     Katrina will serve as line producer for Andromache

2.     All other needs go to Melanie

2)   Andromache

a.     Now starting to reach outside the company for a director

b.     Alexis still working on a translation – but a working translation still in the gathering phase from Katrina

                                               i.     Therefore the focus is on the director search for now à pushing back the date

a.     Perhaps a translation of key scenes would speed up process. But the scale of the show needs to be paired down in general before we can move forward

c.      Ideally, production will happen in late August, but will know for sure when director/space/production etc. are all in check

d.     Church location: Andromache will happen in a church

                                               i.     If you know any churches that could be good to handle a performance like this, talk with Katrina

1.     Belarusian church off Atlantic/Barclays

2.     Sam’s aunt’s church

3.     Lutheran church off Christopher Street – artist and LGBTQ friendly

4.     Melanie’s voice coach’s church

e.     Shall we apply for a production-specific grant?

                                               i.     Kickstarter video is coming

3)   THOSE GIRLS – a reading in co-presentation

a.     Gabriella’s friend/colleague Isabelle Barbier, an actress/playwright, is finalizing her play THOSE GIRLS – based on the women from THE CRUCIBLE, if they were millenials

                                               i.     She has been offered a space at Dixon Place on June 22nd. She wants to present a reading of the play with DOE.

1.     Music stand reading with light staging when seen fit. Light props. No costumes. No technical cues (aside from pre-show music).

2.     3-4 rehearsals, can happen in HOMES (Gabriella’s or Isabelle’s)

3.     Gabriella will line produce, but she will be out of town for the reading (and starting June 18th until the 26th).

a.     If you would like to co-line produce with Gabriella, let her know. Much of work will happen prior to reading – she just wants a point person for the day-of reading.

                                              ii.     Isabelle and her friend are already cast in the reading – we need 2 more actresses and 1 director

1.     Anyone interested in acting or directing, email Gabriella.

                                            iii.     Making money: We need to fill 20 seats MINIMUM. Ideally 50 so we can receive a payment from Dixon Place to recoup.

1.     Tickets are free for the event, but Dixon Place pays a certain amount based on seats filled ($75 for 20-30 (?) seats, $125 for 50).

a.     Hoping to split what we make between DOE and those involved in reading

b.     Double checking with Isabelle to see what her company can also provide

                                            iv.     Publicity:

1.     She loves our imagery! Rachael will be providing a poster.

2.     We hope with our networks and Isabelle’s, we’ll be able to have a wide net of friends to join us

a.     The gallery show may be near to this reading, but using this reading for our own publicity could be helpful.

b.     Melanie will be doing marketing

                                              v.     Director call when script is finished

1.     Which will be SOON (Gabriella is lovingly pressuring Isabelle to finish her goddamn play)

4)   Women’s Work Gallery Show:

a.     Maybe in July

                                               i.     Location: Peace Galleries – have two spaces. One in Chez Bushwick, the other a new beautiful space also in Morgantown that is currently in the lease-signing phase

1.     We want the new one! Partially outside, yay foot traffic, – good for summer – and we could be the gallery’s inaugural event

a.     Profit: split – from opening party, between us and the gallery

                                                                                                     i.     Peace takes 25% - 30% of work sold, DOE receives rest

2.     All artists previously assigned are still on board

                                              ii.     Opening party:

a.     Early July – after the 4th, but will try for before the 13th

2.     CALL FOR PERFORMANCES! Inspired by women’s work!! Send to Melanie

a.     Performance might take place outside. Gallery will be handling the permits?

5)   Other projects:

                                               i.     With restructuring we should all be submitting projects we’d like to do with DOE

1.     Goal: more 1-night productions! And no pay to play!

b.     Lacey is finishing her record!! Would love to do a release party!

                                               i.     Rachael doing cover art!

                                              ii.     Starting to look into venues for a party

1.     Would loooove McKittrick, and we have a couple of connections with the adjacent bars, but if you have other venues in mind that are similar, send!

c.      Meg is expanding Bacchus Effect into a trilogy.

                                               i.     Would love to look into working on it in a developmental platform – with a goal for production for part 2 in early/mid-2018

1.     Devo labs would be great for this! Gabriella and Bella have mentioned a writers group in the past – to support and develop new work.

a.     Suits our new collective structure

b.     Helps along the way to production

c.      Starting small to help people feel engaged

2.     Slow build up – creating Bacchus Effect team

6)   Thoughts on the restructuring:

a.     Engaging in a company when not engaged in a project is hard

                                               i.     Each person taking a title – have tried in past, but works differently in theory rather than in practice

1.     And titles can change

                                              ii.     Changing are roles and responsibilities based on need and based on project

b.     No more season planning

                                               i.     Settling down with fluidity as a collective rather than a company

c.      How to propose projects:

                                               i.     Making decisions outside of meetings is welcome

1.     Project to project proposals sent to Melanie AND to group meetings or over email between monthly meetings

d.     Roster: Gabriella sending around a roster of everyone’s knowledge, skills, and other ways they can support other members of DOE

                                               i.     Google doc: Everyone fill in their space

e.     WOW café theatre’s theory: if you do something for me, I do something for you.

                                               i.     Example: If you do my publicity, I’ll paint your set.

1.     Not a source of debt, but support

f.      Core company: do we need to determine tiers of support?

                                               i.     Or do we need to change our coats for different weathers – when we can change around how we show up based on each project

g.     How to hang out together:

                                               i.     Weekday evening hangs rather than a weekend afternoon?

h.     Feeling involved while not physically present: The more responsibility given to the group and to each individual in each group, the more they will show up to support

                                               i.     Giving tasks when needing help. Giving tasks before meeting à incentive to show up

i.       Website: we should all have access to the website – or someone should be Web Czar, (but they can’t lose the passwords!)

                                               i.     For us to have calendars, budgets, contacts, meeting notes, etc. all the things that help us participate better

1.     Our site is through Square Space

7)   DOE blog

a.     Melanie has started a DOE blog

b.     Communicating with our audience in an offstage way

c.      Capitalizing on our already flourishing online presence

d.     We should all take turns contributing

                                               i.     Monthly?

1.     Content should range from our own interests in incorporating spirituality/ritualizing in our own lives as self-care (Melanie gave the example of lifestyling as a jumping off point), to content that reflects/promotes the work we do as artists

2.     Outside submissions too

3.     Themes explored based on our productions

                                              ii.     Email Melanie to contribute. A revolving calendar will develop.

 

Melanie Thomas